In this 21st century we’ve employed technology advances into our lives and now we look forward to technology to perform so many tasks starting at industrialization, governance and even the teaching sector, I mean looking our lives back then at the 1980s you’ll see a vast difference to the world today.
Another obvious conception about technology advancement is we can only grow bigger and better in digitization, there’s no returning back to a previous technology advancement, for this reason and in other for individuals to be tech rounded we have to forge our lives into being technical savvy, i mean who wants to be left out alone in the cold?. In a post i talked about the reasons to acquire technical skills, i recommend you checking that out.
In this article, we are looking and focusing on “IT technical skills list” for first we need to look at the meaning of each terms for better understanding.
What is Information Technology (IT)
Just as the name implies, this can be referred to as the application of computers to store, study, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data, or information, often in the context of a business or other enterprise. IT is considered a subset of Information and Communications Technology (ICT). (see Wikipedia)
What are technical skills?
Technical skills can be seen so many perspectives, one which is referred to as the capabilities and skills which is necessary to accomplish specialized tasks like mathematical, engineering, computer-related and scientific duties, as well as other specific task in technology niche.
Combining the two phrases “Information Technology and” Technical skills” it will be obviously be based on deep insight of computer and data manipulations.
In the below list, I’ll be stating out the various list of skills required by an IT professional.
IT Technical Skills list
1. Programming/Application Development skill
This is the process of computer programming, documenting, testing, and bug fixing involved in creating and maintaining applications and frameworks resulting in a software product. Want to be an IT Professional? Obtain this skill!
2. Help Desk/Technical Support
Enterprises which offers solutions and assistance to user of their technology products, normally set aside a team or individual designated to perform this role in the company. Before performing this function, one has to be a tech savvy and also know nitty gritty about the specified product or service so that good solutions and help assistance can be passed to users.
3. Web Development skill
NB: As a good web developer you should be able to:
- Wireframe/layout a website or web application.
- Write HTML and CSS from scratch.
- Take a PSD and turn it into a working website.
- Write a basic application in an object-oriented programming language like Ruby or Python or PHP.
4. Security Governance/Cyber Security skill
Cyber security is broad whereas making the true expert rare, this result to difficulties for companies to find the true professionals to fit their needs in the role, here’s the kind of skills and personal traits you need.
- Eagerness to dig into technical questions and examine them from all sides.
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills.
- Keep a current understanding of vulnerabilities especially from the Internet.
- Maintaining awareness and knowledge of contemporary standards, practices, procedures and methods.
- Ability to get the job done.
5. Database Administration (DBA) skill
For a role in database management, you are required to have the following:
- Strong analytical and organisational skills.
- Eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to understand business needs.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Understanding of structured query language (SQL)
- Computer Networking skill
Mobile applications development skill
Data analytics skill
Enjoy this post? Please share!
As an online entrepreneur and webmaster in Nigeria, I love technology! As a result, and to earnestly contribute to tech awareness within individuals, I find the need to give digital-based insight of the technology world today, hence, making individuals well tech rounded and get the need to acquire technical skills.